A jam-packed day in West Bay!
Published: Monday 13th Jan 2020
If you’ve visited West Bay before, you will understand why it’s one of our favourite spots here at Wyke Dorset Cottages! The stunning natural beauty of the cliffs meeting the beach make it a breath-taking spot for an early morning walk, lunch or a day spent on the beach.
Our property Manager, Laura is a true local to this area. Here, she shares her top 10 things to do in West Bay:
- Traditional beach day – A family favourite seaside day, treat yourselves to a day playing, paddling and enjoying some traditional fun!
- Walking the coastal path – From West Bay you can head west towards Eype and Seatown – a beautiful walk with some ups and downs! Make your pit stop – with a little detour – at Downhouse Farm Café – they welcome dogs and you can take in the view across Lyme Bay to Portland. Head East to Burton Bradstock and the Hive Beach – owned by the National Trust. From here you can wander up to the village itself, with a good choice of pubs and cafes this is the perfect lunchtime location.
- Boat Trip – For the budding fisherman (or women) you can book a fishing trip and head out into the bay to see what you can catch. If you fancy something a little more thrilling then book a speed boat experience – either full throttle fun or a gentler coastal cruise along the coastline.
- Crabbing – A great way to spend some quality family time together – grab a bucket and some bait and you are away!
- Explore the River Brit – From the harbour book a tour of the River Brit with West Bay Canoes, wind your way through the fields back towards the market town of Bridport on a guided experience! It’s a brilliant way to see the local countryside.
- The Best Fish and Chips – ever! – You can’t go wrong in West Bay wherever you buy them from – enjoy them sitting by the harbour or on the pier.
- Enjoy one of the West Bay Days – Pirate Day May 24th, West Bay Day August 2nd, Bonfire on the Beach October 31st and Christmas Tree on the Green December 6th!
- West Bay Playground – Is an inclusive and accessible play and picnic area for all ages and abilities. Designed to allow as many shared experiences as possible.
- Melplash Show – Thursday August 27th is one of the South West’s premier one-day agricultural shows. Held just outside of West Bay, the show is packed full of exhibits including livestock, horses, homecrafts and horticulture. There are over 400 trade stands selling everything from jam to tractors!
- Hop on a bus. If you make West Bay your base you can leave the car behind to explore the local area. You can make the trip to Bridport to enjoy its twice-weekly market or pack your beach bag and head to the sandy beaches in Weymouth. Why not pop over to Lyme Regis for a stroll along the prom!
Written by Laura Farnham, Property Manager, Wyke Dorset Cottages